While there’s no “magic” way to make a Website that meets your customers’ needs and grows your sales, there is a formula that can help drive and direct your efforts to create a successful Website: The C-O-P formula.
You are not only in the business of selling products and services. You are in the business of knowledge. If you did not have your specialized knowledge and expertise, you would not have customers. It follows, then, that your Website should not just sell – it should also educate by offering customer-focused content. With the right strategy, you can complement your product and service information with valuable educational content that helps your customers do their jobs better. As a result, they will be more likely to trust and buy from you.
When identifying and creating customer-focused content for your Website, it is important to take the following concepts into account.
Lead generation consistently ranks as a top priority for B2B companies. However, most companies handicap themselves by relying on their Website’s ‘Contact Us’ page as the sole method for allowing prospects to take action.
Effective customer-focused Websites use offers wisely to spur customers to act in a way that makes sense for them. It gives customers a chance to act on the content presented to them when they feel so compelled.
Customers appreciate offers because they make your company accessible and easy to do business with. Your sales-people appreciate offers because they create qualified leads. To turn your Website into a lead generation and sales machine, put the following recommendations into action.
Only 10% of your Website visitors are ready to buy. The other 90% are “kicking tires,” performing research or just have a pre-sales question. To turn your Website into a lead generation machine, you need to have a variety of offers that appeal to prospects at different stages of the buying cycle. This will help you generate leads and sales for near-term business and build a marketing database to nurture future opportunities.
Successful B2B offers have some or all of the following characteristics:
Examples of successful B2B offers include:
With good content and offers, you are now way ahead of the majority of your competition. Most companies have Websites that are merely passive online brochures. Your Website now has the potential to be a rich knowledge base that will drive lead generation and sales. However, your Website needs to be produced and packaged with proven best practices to be successful.
Notice that this is the last step in the C-O-P Formula. It’s last for a reason. If you work on packaging and design before you consider your content and offers, you cannot be sure that your Website will accomplish your business-building goals. If you focus on content and offers first, then you can use design to enhance them. The design should not drive online marketing strategy; it should complement it.
Make sure you’ve got the meat of your content and offers set, and then use structure and design to tie it all together into a fantastic Website.
Apply the best practices of the C-O-P formula to your Website and you will boost your online marketing results.
If you are looking for more specific ideas for your company, request a free website analysis.